BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Light fuse ... retire quickly.
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:13:10 EDT
In a message dated 7/18/2001 9:43:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Due to local
>  zoning rules, variances that had previously been grandfathered in to
protect
>  the barn are no longer extended. We have applied for a special use permit
in
>  order to save this barn. If we don't receive the permit the barn must come
>  down. It is in great shape! Can you give some advise on how to convince the
>  Will County Board why preservation of historic buildings (like the barn)
>  should be considered? Thanks!

There are a number of resources that might be considered in this case:

-- Re-check the local zoning rules for possible loopholes;
-- Change the zoning ordinance (just finished a case where that was
successful);
-- Check the county/state/local master plans for references to historic
resources;
-- Check for local/county/state laws or regulations that govern historic
resources;
-- Check SHPO for definition of statewide historic contexts, especially
agriculture-related;
-- Is the property in a National Register district? Is it a listed or
eligible NR property?
-- Are agricultural resources (i.e., barns) part of a statewide Multiple
Resource (NR or State Register) listing;
-- Develop the cultural significance of the property and the relationship of
the barn to historic patterns of development in the region;
-- Explore the architectural/engineering significance of the specific barn --
is it a good and intact example of its type? Is it unique in its construction?
-- What is the significance of the farm on which the barn is located?
-- Is the barn located on a historic road that may be considered signficant?
-- Is the barn a focal point in a cultural landscape that may be considered
significant?
-- Has it ever been the subject of a painting by Jamie Wyeth or Mies Van der
Rohe?
-- What is the significance of the family that owned the barn/farm?
-- Does the local historical society have some record/recognition of the barn
as a historic resource?
-- Call your state assemblyperson, senator, and/or U.S. representatives and
scream bloody murder (don't waste your time on Dubya and Christie);
-- Get the attention of your local press re the plight of our lost
agricultural heritage;
-- Make your barn the headquarters of an International Trade Zone;
-- Enlist the support of Tom Hanks -- everybody loves him.
-- Get Sharpshooter to write a column on endangered barns, with yours as a
prime example;
-- Finally, check to see if there are any coffins laying around inside the
barn that have mysteriously changed orientation lately -- always a winner.

Julep

PS Sorry for so few suggestions -- I'm looking at this case long distance.
Give me more specifics and maybe I can come up with a couple of more ideas.)