BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:21:55 EDT
Heidi,

As with most disasters I take them seriously, but in reserve admit my
fascination. I'm not sure if I need a shrink, or not, but things I care the
most about tend to be the ones I find funny -- as Jerry Lewis says, comedy is
tragedy. I well remember watching floods, visiting post-floods, as well as
watching fires and visiting post-fires. What amazes me about floods is that
we think of water as begnign, that is, until we see the effect of a flood on
a community or someone's house. The effect of the F-storm for me was more in
the anxiety of anticipation of having our house flooded. Which did not occur,
so the result is a lot of anxiety built up for little reason... makes one
feel kind of stupidly foolish. We live quite close to the Atlantic and not
very high above ocean level. Not something we exactly thought about when we
bought the house. If the tide and wind works together the water comes up in
the community around us and gushers spring free in the basement.

][<en

][<en