BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:39:43 -0700
Good or bad may will depend upon why and with what type of wax (and there
are many). Many stone have a high absorbancy and, as a result, we have
trouble removing grafitti that penetrates deep into the surfaces. These
materials can be treated with a wax coating that is essentially invisible
and that can be removed with a low pressure, hot water cleaner. The most
common waxes used are polyethelene waxes and have a high permeability
rating - they allow water vapour to excape the stone without causing
exfoliation or blistering the wax. We have used materials with a
permeability rating of 45.40-g/m2/24 hours based on ASTM E 96, Water Vapor
Transmission testing.

No indications of discolouring or increases in soiling but the latter would
be difficult to evaluate in an urban atmosphere.

Ken Johnson
Victoria