BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:14:01 -0500
Location:  Frontenac Point is approximately 1/2 mile north of Taughannock
Falls State Park on the west shore (I think it is 1/2 mile because I think
they used to do a one mile swim to the park and back).  The camp was located
for a time on the land where the State Park is now located.

Camp Barton is named for a "much-loved" Cornell University ROTC commandant.
(I got this piece of information from my father who is a contemporary of
Cuyler Page's dad and remembers him.)

A number of Cornell University professors were involved with the Camp
including Louis Agassiz Fuertes after whom the Council was named (since
renamed after the founding father of the Boy Scouts, Baden-Powell).  (I got
this from the history page on their web site.  The page points out that it
wasn't the Frontenac that burned and sank there but a tug called the
Iroquois)

Here is a nice web site having to do with the Camp:
http://www.lightlink.com/bbm/barton.html

And now the sad news.  There is a chance the camp is going to be up for sale
soon:
http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20021010/opinion/256003.html

Frontenac web site (the Frontenac sank up the lake off Farley's Point which
is south of Union Springs and north of Levanna and Aurora):
http://vintageviews.org/vv-ny/AE/cards/c013.html

Learning all kinds of home-town info today!