BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Shinola Heretics United"
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:57:13 -0500
John:

Yeah, I finally tracked down the info on Kyanoil 021. It seems that this
product (which I have spec'd for years) is no longer manufactured due to the
latest VOC regulations, according to the technical rep at Kyanize
(Baltimore, MD).  C'est les affaires de la conservation. C'est la vie.

I suppose that Acryloid B-67 is now called Paraloid B-67 (Rohm and Haas ). I
assume that it's the same general formulation. It's an acrylic resin and is
described in company literature as a "medium and long-oil modifier, general
purpose thermoplastic." It is apparently sold in pellet form or a 45%
solution in solvents. In a paper entitled "Alkali-Soluble Acrylic
Consolidants for Plaster: Preliminary Investigation" (Studies in
Conservation 32, 1987, p. 145-152), Morgan Phillips described the use of
B-67 in mineral spirits to consolidate plaster. Is there anyone out there
carrying on Mr. Phillips great research?

I refer you to the attached excerpts from some recommendations I wrote back
in '92 to a homeowner who had some serious plaster deterioration. In the
letter, I refer to B-67 as well as Kyanoil (which was eventually used and
worked great...sigh). I'm going to follow up with Rohm and Haas regarding
the current products and their similarities.

Thanks for the info on the vinegar wash. Given the chemical analyis, that's
worth checking out and experimenting with. I'll post any findings on this as
I follow up.

John Horton