BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bradley Farwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:54:45 -0700
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mary Christina Manning wrote:

> But isn't all architecture affected by these elements?  What distiguishes
> vernacular from "regular"?

I would put forth that vernacular="regular" and non-vernacular="weird"

vernacular is also likely to mean "old, before they developed
the stunning taste that we have now" or "old, before we developed the
horrible economic pressures that force our buildings to be so ugly"

i fear it is somewhat subjective.  alas.

(alassie?)

-brad