BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "where heavy conservationists hang out"
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:26:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/5/99 11:40:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>their.dedication.to.do.right.and.do.business.in.a.forthright.&.gentlemanly.wa
y.has.earned.my.upmost.respect.

As a contractor I find this criteria of product selection very important. The
dreaded situation for me is to have advised a customer of an absolutely
perfect outcome of the work then to suddenly find that the
manufacturer/supplier of the miracle product does not stand firm in providing
support. For this reason I will NEVER use Benjamin-Moore paints.

As a manager I'm heavy into relationships. I'd much rather deal with a
less-than-perfect product that is well represented. Researching the merits of
various products is not a profit activity of a contractor -- as it may be for
a manufacturer or design professional. Using products and MAKING them work in
the field is what a contractor has to deal with. I consider that all products
in some way fall short of fulfilling ALL the criteria that I need to satisfy.

One thing I appreciate with Keim is that they say they have 2,500 products.
My interpretation is that they have one product, but in their history they
have recognized 2,500 unique problems to be solved. My concern is if they
will look at my problems and find solutions, or will they assume that they
have already seen all the problems and miss the mark of solving my problems.

If I have a relationship with a manufacturer/supplier that leans toward
solving 99.99% of my problems then the distinction of .11% for me becomes
very insignificant. The downside in depending on relationships is that they
require a lot of overhead to maintain.

The first problem I have is getting work. The second is finishing the work.
The third is getting paid. The last is avoiding come-backs. Everyone can
wrangle over the technical merits of various products, but if the merits of
the products and the relationships do not contribute to solving these
problems of mine then the products do me no good. I might as well use
bubblegum and talk to myself.

On a recent project I went with a highly technical and correct method of
dealing with materials but the development was that in the process too much
information was given to the customer of a confusing and technical nature
such that in the end the $2,000 I paid for the perfect solution ended with
the customer refusing to pay $10,000. This makes for an expensive product.

][<en