BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:54:51 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/00 1:16:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I was poised to drill out 4-inch diameter holes at some
>  arbitrary location in the walls, but thought I might check with anyone who
>  might be knowledgeable in this area first.

Donna,

No standard rules that I've ever encountered. And I'm only a backyard
hydraulics engineer, so don't believe anything I say. If the block is not
solid, which is the more likely case, then cutting 4" dia holes will cut
through the web of the block. I'm not sure if this will lead to structural
problems, or not, but cutting through block cleanly is something of a skill
problem. I advise that you practice first. I would not want to do it myself.
This size of a weep also seems excessive unless you are trying to let through
a running stream -- which may very well be the case. I would recommend that
you consider every two block on the bottom course that you drill out the
mortar for the width of the joint, past the depth of the block (8" ??, or
12"??). If this does not seem to be enough then alternate the vertical
alignment and repeat on the second course up. Trusting the operation does not
cause the wall to collapse this size of weeps should be more than adequate
for a modest amount of groundwater.

][<en