BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:08:04 -0500
I hadn't considered diversity.  Now I will.  Nor had I seen the respect
for craft in Ingvall Maxwell and Xeynep Ahunbay's presentations.  And
most embarrassing of all, I missed your presentation.  Now I'm gonna
have to think...again.

-jc

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 07:58  AM, Ilene R. Tyler wrote:

> Hey, no trouble sufficiently stirred to deter the fun had by APTers in
> Portland.
>
> Enjoyed seeing a few people in person that I typically see either once
> year or hear from in this modest forum.  There is definite interest in
> shifting to more diversity and it's evident in the survey numbers
> (which
> I can't remember by heart).  Architects have moved from 50% to
> something
> like 30% and there is a more even spread of the other APT disciplines,
> including engineers, conservators, contractors, landscape architects,
> and preservation "others".  Ingvall Maxwell and Zeynep Ahunbay both
> spoke eloquently about the importance of preserving and nurturing the
> traditional crafts of preservation.  Their discussions of work in
> Scotland and Turkey respectively set an example for all of us, and many
> other speakers also referenced this.  My presentation on the Parthenon
> also showed the importance of the collaboration of the entire team, the
> beauty of the results, and the detailed execution of both documents and
> replicated elements of the building.  I enjoy the presentations that
> show results rather than remaining theoretical with exotic testing and
> high costs.  There were many down-to-earth (literally) presentations,
> but little hands-on.
>
> Have fun at the trades network gathering, but consider coming to
> Galveston next year.
>

> QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
>
> Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
>
> 219 1/2 N. Main Street
> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
> www.quinnevans.com
> v 734.663.5888
> f 734.663.5044
>
> Date:    Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:15:27 +0000
> From:    John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Greetings from APT
>
> Just thought I'd let you guyz know that things have been interesting
> here at APT.  Saw a couple of presentations by craftsmen, some by the
> ususal suspects and some by folks from other shores.  Even some
> pinheads
> were represented among the participants and presenters.  Portland is
> lovely, in a warm damp sort of way.
>
> For those who know my fears related to the exodus of certain interests
> to that other organization I am proud to be a member of...my fears are
> justified.
>
> Stirring up trouble as usual.
>
> -jc
>
> --

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890