BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:53:32 -0400
Yes, agriculture is one of the more dangerous professions.  It is a great
way of life but dangerous.  Large animal agriculture is particularly so.
We never kept a bull but there is one in our pasture now.  He seems placid
enough BUT that can change in an instant.

I have been chased by mean cows and even pinned against the wall.  I still
love cows and wish I had a barn so I could have some.  Ruth

At 12:24 PM -0400 7/30/09, [log in to unmask] wrote:
It is too long to post here, but the CDC has analyzed cattle-caused deaths
in the US 2003-2008.  I list below the horrifying ways to die in this
supposedly pastoral profession.  If anyone wants the full text, you can go
to the CDC website for the gory details. Or I will forward  you the actual
accounting.

Christopher

Struck by gate when cattle charged while being herded
 Pinned against barn wall while working with cattle
 Attacked from behind by bull when feeding dairy cows
 Attacked by bull when vaccinating and applying insecticide on cattle
 Crushed against barn door when sorting cattle
 Attacked by bull when herding cows for milking
 Attacked by bull while moving cows into milking parlor
 Attacked by bull when alone in pasture
 Knocked steel gate on top of himself while loading calves onto a trailer
 Trampled by bull being moved from one pasture to another
 Found fatally injured in pen with two cows and newborn calf
 Kicked in head by cow
 Attacked by cow when removing dead calf from pasture
 Mauled by aggressive bull in pasture while retrieving cows
 Mauled and crushed against barn wall by bull while feeding cows
 Gored while loading bull into trailer
 Rammed by bull while feeding cattle
 Injected with Micotil from syringe in his pocket when cow pushed him down
 Crushed in pen when attacked by cow with calf
 Attacked by cow while working in pen
 Crushed while moving cattle through squeeze chute

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT