BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:49:12 -0500
 >>tiresome or dangerous scraping; ya just schmear it on over the
already-blistering and dirt-encrusted lead?paint. which is an ideal
base. Yeah, right.<<

I'm not advocating the use of this stuff, but I have used it. "Schmear"
is what many applicators would only be capable of, but would probably
not be a good technique. "Laid on" might be better. For prep, any loose
paint chips and dust can be safety HEPA vacced off, then application of
this stuff. The stuff I have used is waterborne but also has a solvent
in it. The solvent slightly softens loose paint chips that are still in
place, and tends to (or actually does) flatten and heal them back down
to the substrate.

Of course, there will be some paint surface conditions where this stuff
does just make a mess that is more difficult to deal with than the
original condition.

The real problem here is that the "product" is supposed to solve the
problem. There is no success that comes from "product." Success comes
from method, knowledge-based labor, etc.

JOhn