BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:12:19 EST
In a message dated 97-12-16 12:23:58 EST, Bruce writes:

> I sense that there is also a good HP case to be made for preserving the
>  road as it is and am hoping for some suggestions as to how to go about
>  making this argument, or for some leads to other similar cases where this
>  position was successfully defended.

I am not sure what state you are in, although it seems clearly on the East
coast.  The question of roads as historic resources in and of themselves is an
interesting one.  They are part of the concept of "cultural landscapes" that
is gaining currency in evaluations of historic significance.  It is the
geometrics of the roadway itself -- width, curves over length, banking angles
(or lack thereof), shoulders (or lack thereof) -- that often are character-
defining elements of an historic area.  The presence of other historic
resources near the roadway (architecture, landscapes, or archeological sites)
reinforce the historic integrity of the area.

This does not mean, however, that it is easy to get them on the Register in
some states -- at least in New Jersey. Due to an agressive DOT that seeks to
meet or exceed AASHTO standards, and spends the majority of its highway
"maintenance" funds on road widenings and new highway construction, our
historic roadways and bridges are disappearing at a rapid rate.
(Unfortunately, the NJDOT has not learned the lessons of Robt Moses -- if you
build new roads to relieve traffic congestion, traffic increases
exponentially.)

Local advocates, esp.in rural districts, are trying to nominate these
resources and surrounding districts to the Nat'l and State Registers in hopes
of staving off road "upgrades" like the ones you describe.  However, there
have only been 2 successful NR nominations in NJ over the last 5 or so years
that have identified the roadway itself as a historic resource -- and hence
garner at least some limited protections under the NJ Register Act, NHPA Sec.
106, or DOTA 4(f). The NJ-DOT and DEP are currently working on a "roadways
plan" that is expected to make these kind of nominations very difficult to get
through agency approval.

It might be a good idea to contact the SHPO in your state to see what, if any,
such nominations have passed muster there.  If there is precedent for
recognition of an historic roadway (or an historic district in which the
roadway was a character-defining element), then I would think that a request
for a SHPO opinion of eligibility for the NR would at least give your case
credibility.  If not, you will be forging new ground in your state, but you at
least have precedents in the National Register itself to fall back on.  I
don't have them at hand, but I know they are out there.

Other tools -- local Master Plans that identify it as a historic area worthy
of preservation, rezoning, and landmark designation under a local preservation
ordinance.  Working with the governing body to understand what they see as the
problem is also helpful (she said optimistically) -- it may be that they can
be dissuaded from the plan to "improve" the road.  Voters hate to see money
wasted on ill-conceived schemes.

I don't know if that is helpful.  It is a difficult question, and one that we
face more than we would like to in NJ.

Mary Krugman