BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:00:26 -0800
Why try to match the brick, mortar, paint, whatever to what is there NOW?
If the brick you are matching is 100 yrs old then in another 100 yrs that
brick will be 200 yrs old and the new, matching brick will only be 100 yrs
old and they'll still look differents.  At least that's MY theory.

I thought you were supposed to make it obvious that changes had been made
so in the future other preservation workers would know what had been done.
Ruth

PS:  I do have hope the snow won't be TOO deep in Barre in July.

At 9:33 AM -0400 4/2/08, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 4/2/2008 2:00:31 AM Central Daylight Time, chris  writes:

My question:  would it have required really superhuman effort to get a
>good
>match?  Superficial area of building (including windows) is 21,000 SF.
>Brick being replaced is, my eyeball, 1500 SF.

Chris
The devil is in the details
All Brick can be saved ; on cheap budgets; govenment budgets ; no budgets
;miserly budgets and bucket budgets \
I know this building on Park ; its beautiful

The number one rule of course is to replace with original ;followed by
custom made
however as a last ditch effort fand or what ever reason
Have an artist patch with  custom made mortar (see Mike Edison ) and follow
up with a wash of mineral coating to match occlusions and different tones ;
unless the artist is really good this is  not recomended for eye level work
.....we use it say 12 ft and up
Presently we are on a historic building now and for numerous reasons can't
match the brick so at the architects direction   we are taking brick down
from the 4th story  and using it at eye level , then  putting back brick up
top  that is close in original color and giving it a wash of the custom
matched  mineral coating ;
and then as they say in Midnight Mississippi..... Viola
custom matched  brick masonry  Py
ps don't try this at home
--
Ruth Barton