BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:38:39 -0600
Ruth,

I think the negative among us are assuming that the resulting work will
not be accurate, and that the resulting structure will be one than
never existed at any previous time.  If a real honest to god
restoration were being proposed, with real repairs and historic
materials, it might have received a mixed response.  I responded
negatively because I do not believe this guy shares my commitment to
accuracy.  It sounds to me more as though he just wants to have fun
with an old structure.  Its one thing when I play architect and have
some fun with a new building, and quite another when a guy who's
experience is with new buildings decides to have fun with a significant
historic structure.  The difference is that I have met the criteria
that qualifies me to design a new structure, I doubt he has met the
criteria to play, "Architect (Historical)."

-jc