BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 05:51:11 EST
Vignette, Preservation Cafe

I spoke at a local preservation get-together run by a community organization,
the "Preservation Cafe".  Most people there thought I was pretty hot stuff,
that the column I write was swell, probably also that I was a really good
dancer and knew all about wine.   My talk was "An Architectural Historian's
Dream", a day when the information about the buildings we were preserving was
as important as the buildings themselves (I should live so long!).  I annoyed
one person by basically agreeing with Herbert Muschamp, but it seemed like
most everybody else was ready to join my fan club.

I was particularly debonair during the Q&A session, handling with aplomb the
gentlemen who had a >>really long<< speech about some community problem with
a Hudson River pier ("that's fascinating, let's talk about that later, let me
move on to someone who has a question.") and the guy who promised me that his
wife could tell me some stories about local politics that would "blow my hair
off" (quite evidently, it had).

For a 50-something, it was a good evening, I mused, as I got ready for bed.
It was at that point, that I realized that I had buttoned my shirt collar not
to their respective buttons at the sides, but to the central button at the
throat.  Must have looked pretty sharp.  Wish I had a picture - I could use
it as a dart board.

Sign me,  Kool Kat