BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

When I'm in NC I'm a tourist. Dan
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:53:08 EDT
Earthy observations

It was already a steamy 90 deg by ten am ; And the morning sun  percolated
the Forrest canopy in in bright  pools of yellow light settling on the  green
foliage and wet barks of this  semi tropical Savannah. Everything is wet and
growing ; or wet and decaying ; fast.
So fast that it seems the earth is moving literally uder your feet.
, The dirt road getting in here was no cake walk  a sea of mud greeted us at
every turn  we had to gun it" several times in the old pick up  to make it
across washed out gullies and eroded hillsides in a series of "charges" that made
us slide and and fish tail most of the way in here .

We found the tomb all right ; a great big Victorian all in white marble.
Chief Le Fleure the last great chief of the Choctaw nation buried  in the middle
of a 15000 acre of what was once plantation.

The big house was gone ;so were all the slave quarters; and as the chief
doesn't quite fit the
PC picture that all slave owners were white ;little is known about him
outside local history and  legend
The tomb was a mess
Split marble columns; that once held  a 400lb carved cap that tumbled off an
6ft high base with inscription
........cranking the generator we set to work; with a gin pole and lifted the
stone for repair

Ten minuets into making the mud (lime mortar non hydraulic  ; sand blast sand
3;1 )
also for the record
 Cleaning Klennzestone 3:1 ) stainless pins , and some akemi for broken
flakes.

I felt a movement coming on  ; grabbed a roll of paper; announced to my
helper with a wave of hand  I was going to study tree frogs and headed into the
interior with a whistling  pace.
Finding an appropriate place in the woods is a study unto itself. My dog may
have helped me with this but she wasn't here .
All the logs looked too  wet for sitting  or were in snake grass
"environments
so I settled in the strategy the  "Tree Hang".
This Buddhist  lost art involves selecting a tree on a slight hill that you
can wrap your hands around; drop trow and lean back relaxing your lower body .
and put "one threw the hoop" ...so to speak..in a dignified manner.

With time running out I placed my hands on said tree and assumed the
position; and just when I started to relax ......."Crrr-rack"
I tumbled  head over heels on my bare back side holding a rotted tree
trunk......
Things are not going well I thought ; zero hour is upon me......I must act
and act fast
I struggled up the hill still holding part of the rotted trunk as a trophy
and then  found a surrogate tree of some stability, and then quickly  repeated
the procedure  and let one fly.
...relief.... wow .
Just then I heard footsteps; I still had to go but who could it be?
I was scared to move as I had to go again when just then  rounding the corner
a 250lb white tail 8 point buck with the fuzz still on the horns was little
more than 15 ft away..
He nibbled and ate raised his head and listened; then back down to nibble and
eat,
What beauty,what grace surely he can see me (or at least smell me) ..my
stomach growled
.no time to wait......I let a nother one fly

      The ears shot up on the big white tail ; he looked at me with disdain
and bounded off into the wild ...and just as I was getting into the hang of it
.  Michael