BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 05:35:23 -0400
On 6/14/2010 10:34 PM, Ruth Barton wrote:

Ruth,

We hate them here, wherever here is, that is why we keep deporting them
to Vermont!

And by the way, I don't live in the stupid environment, I visit it for
the money. The environment that I live in is very very smart.

At that particular work environment the penthouse owners were incredibly
insensitive and self-absorbed. I wish it were a joke.

Whenever I go to look at a new site to look at possible work I tend to
ask questions about the people and the neighbors. The architect,
property owner or engineer seems always, and I feel appropriately,
focused on 'we need to fix this here' and they rarely want to say
anything about, or even think about, the eccentricities of the occupants
of the building, or the expectations of the neighbors. I like to know
things like how many lawyers or architects live in the building. If
there are too many lawyers in the building then you can expect the
project will end up in a frivolous law suit, for which you need to
include a high enough price in the bid to accommodate the years of
hassle. Less experienced bidders don't know -- I have not yet found a
specification section that deals with Everyone in This Building is a
Raving Lunatic -- and thus the unknowing bidder tends to be the low
bidder... so from my perspective, Why bother? If there are too many
architects (practicing, teaching and/or amateur -- and invariably never
having any experience in restoration/maintenance work at all) then you
have to be assured that someone will come out of nowhere that won't like
whatever it is that you did. They will wait until you reasonably think
that you are nearly finished with an otherwise satisfying project. When
we are asked to work on a wall over a neighbor's roof I ask if they get
along with the neighbors, or not. Quite often the response is, "That is
your problem." I have had that problem more than I need to care about so
my response when told it is our problem tends to be, "No thanks. See you
later." Now, if all of the bidders are given a fair and reasonable
portrait that upon entering into a contract for this project you are
entering the Twilight Zone, a level playing field for the mentally
unstable, then I would not mind so much. IMHO the most valuable talent
of an architect is their ability to discern and manage, to work with,
play with psychotic clients. Show me what you need fixed and I will fix
it, and please tell that guy standing over there to leave me alone. If
he/she comes near me I will bite them. I may bite you too, watch out! I
suspect though that it is for these reasons of the complications of
human issues that there is a rise in the industry of Owner's
Representatives.

][<en