BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:20:37 -0500

Me too. Furthermore, Ralph continued on:

>> Best we can hope for is that the more preservationally-
>> attuned homeowners will get Certified Histo Presto Doors
>> made when things calm down.

I've always contended that if they aren't "preservationally-attuned," it
is our fault that we haven't gotten the word
out/educated/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that it's better for the
building, the community, and them personally to apply appropriate
preservation design and technology to the solution of their issues.

Problem is, the preservation community doesn't have the advertising
budget of Home Depot. As it stands now, the entire federal appropriation
for historic preservation to all of the state historic preservation
offices ($36.25 million in 2006 dollars) is the equivalent of less than
a mile and three-quarters of interstate highway (In 1996 dollars, the
Federal Highway Administration calculated the "weighted rural and urban
combined" costs per mile of interstate highway to be $20.6 million.
["Typical Interstate System Cost per Mile," Document Route Symbol HNG-13
(March 21, 1997), U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway
Administration, Federal - Aid & Design Division.]) How's that for
priorities?

You're never going to get certified histo presto doors "made" for these
houses. But you can certainly make a better choice among the standard
offerings in terms of the design qualities of the door.

We as a movement need to get Home Depot to offer more diversity in
choice, and work with the property owners to make and demand better
choices.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.      "The thing that destroyed
Raleigh Historic               Babylon and Nineveh was
Districts Commission        too much Waldorf Astoria."
[log in to unmask]                    -- Elbert Hubbard,
919/516-2632                 The Philistine, Feb. 1909

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”