BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:10:00 -0500
On 3/28/04 10:55 AM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Antique dealers flush with dollars came  from the US and  went into every
> little town (pronounced" toon") and purchased the interiors (ceilings walls
> mouldings mirrors and bar counters ) of every classic edwardian and second
> empire  pub that would let em go .

> Now as these
> pubs sit in country clubs of bad taste  and are lost to a public with worst .
> while the one horse toons with the classic pub is nothing more than " a one
> horse toon"

> stop the outrage Pyrate

We have one of these here. I do my little bit best to stop it by not trading
there. Even more sad, it is double the outrage as the location is our
historic landmark street car maintenance barn.

The "pub" is in the lower level of the two story structure; upper story
accessed at grade from the uphill side of the building, lower level at grade
on the downhill side, where cars could be rolled into both floors. Beautiful
and massive concrete columns in the lower level, flared at the top in a
robust structural conical capital (ala Johnson Wax, but with a concrete
ceiling/floor above, not a light tray), are not to be seen beneath the
applied frou-frou of a trendy savaging of salvage.

Two missed opportunities to be true to thine own self in one place. Is this
what we mean by cultural layering?

Sign me, dan i drink my guinness elsewhere, black and tan with harp becker