BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:58:19 -0800
You want a REAL cow story, I'll tell you a real cow story.  Last summer my
family, husband, son and I, moved in with my Dad.  He's an 84 YO widower in
good health living in the same house he and his father and grandfather
lived in.  It was built in 1870 by my ggrandfather and gggrandfather.  When
I was a kid we farmed but the barn burned in 1957 or 8 so there have been
no cattle here since but once a farmer always a farmer.  Since that time we
have gotten our milk from the farm next door.  There has never been any
money involved, when he was able Dad always helped the farmer with haying,
etc and we get milk there.  I was not about to ask my 14 YO son to start
drinking milk with real cream on top that you have to shake up so I still
buy milk at the store but Dad still gets milk next door for his cereal and
I use it in cooking.

Dad has Alzheimer's or some dementia so is very forgetful.  Several time a
night he goes to the refrigerator to see if he needs milk--when it is gone
the jug gets washed and taken to the milk house to be filled at the next
milking.  In good weather Dad goes after the milk but now that it is cold,
slippery and dark I don't like him to go out walking at night, especially
since he has to cross a busy road to get to the farm.  I have been going to
get the milk.  When I see the milkhouse light on I know they are milking
and go quickly before Dad feels he has to go.  So I get to go in the barn
and see the cow being milked then go to the milkhouse and see the milk
being poured into my jug.  It is great to have a personal friendship with
the cow that produces my milk.  That's my cow story for now.  Next summer
I'll tell you about the cows that spend the summer vacationing in our
pasture.  Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT