BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:31:34 -0600
Snow on the roof is good.  Snow loads greater than what the structure
was designed for is not so good.  I understand that the amount of rain
you received on top of the amount of snow you received was extreme, but
was it beyond what could have been reasonably assumed?

I  haven't had much to do with low sloped roofs...except to repair
them, replace them and increase their slope.  If snow on a low slope
roof causes it to fail, it might be reasonable to question the wisdom
of designing such a roof in a region that receives snow...and outdoors.

As for removing snow from a roof.  That's a dangerous undertaking.
Besides the potential for damaging people, you can damage the roof.
Lots of people do it...they even advertise special long handled rakes
for doing it.  They also sell powerwashers to people who don't want to
scrape before priming and painting.  That don't make it smart.

-jc