BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:37:51 +0000
Kurt Eichenberger wrote:

> The contractor started without notification, and using power grinders, screwed up a lot of
> the brick of this building.

How was the contractor selected? This example reinforces the need for pre-qualification of
contractors and mechanics -- which is likely the role of whoever let the job to begin with.
Selecting an inexperienced contractor is not a good move. I don't believe that assumptions can
be made about the quality of any contractor or mechanic, but that levels of understanding and
skill have to be demonstrated and witnessed. You ask any mechanic if they are qualified to do
historic work and they will tend to say yes, just as if you asked them if they are honorable.
Nobody wants to represent themselves as less than what they think they are. Either the
contractor should be educated, prior to getting a chance to screw things up, or an experienced
contractor found, particularly one who knows how to judge mechanics. The tools were not at
fault, properly trained and experienced mechanics can use tools, power or otherwise, more
efficiently and with less damage to historic fabric than by more laborious methods. Any
measures that can be taken to reduce fatigue, reduce monotony and increase efficiency can be a
benefit to work.--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5836