BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:55:49 -0400
Larry,

This fits in with my work-in-progress: Contractors and Residential
Clients: Tips on How to Avoid Problems

http://pcls-tips.blogspot.com/2011/09/introduction.html

My interest in the information came from that we had a client who hired
a plumber to fix a leak in an upstairs bathroom and after one day of one
person on site, not the "I" person but actually someone that worked for
a totally different company, our client got hit with a $3,500 invoice
and told that they had agreed to it. What they had agreed to is the
plumber guy had said that he needed to go get some parts and that he
would be back to which the client amiably said, "Not a problem." The
plumber also left a large gaping hole in the plaster ceiling of the
living room on the lower floor. I think the part that cost so much to go
and get was a 4" neoprene pipe gasket. That, plus my talking for an hour
to an audience of homeowners for a window workshop hosted by
Preservation Delaware, kind of got me worked up about how these negative
things happen in residential work.

I claim that we do not do residential work though we seem to keep doing
it. I have had some really horrific experiences and mostly they come
about because the client has expectations that they don't express, that
they do not know how to communicate, in many cases are not even aware
that they may need to communicate. For example, if you hire a contractor
because you want your house fixed up before the social party that you
are going to hold ten days from now it really makes sense to let the
contractor know that before they write up a work proposal and start the
work. Not that you suddenly get bent because the contractor is not going
fast enough for what you never told them that you wanted.

I've also worked for residential clients that I thought were just plain
psychotic, no other way to put it, and at a certain point in the project
the problem is how to get away from them as quickly as possible. One
needs to make a decision to be professionally unprofessional. I don't
think this is the case in this window scenario, what I think is that the
"I" guy is doing what he does for everyone on all of his projects and
that does not include him getting closer to his clients... which, if it
is a one day job, why invest all that time and energy to get to know the
residential client? This goes to the idea to build healthy relationships
first, do business after.

What I also find is that residential clients don't always know what they
are asking for. Recently a client asked how large we were and I said,
two people. They then, after we had a signed contract, asked if they
could have something done that exponentially increased the difficulty
and the scope of the work and would require a crew of six and about
three times the cost. Bad enough that we got thrown this curve, but they
don't understand either that it took time, energy, cost, and attention
to communicate to them just what it was that they were asking for. Why
should all that communication work be done for free?

Likely the "I" man looked at the window, saw how they could put in
process a chain of events, including the 'guy' for them to assign to the
work, the guy who more than likely does the work better than the 'I'
man, and once it was set up went about doing what the "I" man is better
at. And the "I" man probably figured that they needed to keep the cost
low in order to compete, which low cost generally results in reduced
management activity... like paying attention to the weather over one
window, or spending as little time as possible to tell the carpenter guy
what needs to be done. And I know of a whole lot of small outfits where
the crew very much wants the "I" man to visit then leave as quickly as
possible as micro-management mucks up the work even worse. It could also
be that the guy who actually works on the window figures they are
getting paid for the day by the "I" guy that is exploiting them and they
don't care what happens to the window, as in the caulking, or the A/C
cost, or the concerns of the client, and they may not have said diddly
to the "I" guy about where they left off with the work. The "I" guy, not
knowing what is going on, probably sent the carpenter guy to another
location, possibly where a client was putting on more pressure.

And yes, there are a whole lot of small practitioners that think and say
"I" all the time. My own tendency is to say WE, to insist that people
understand that it is not about ME, that WE will do this or that, or
that I will introduce the carpenter guy to the client, one-on-one and
explain that I am asking this carpenter guy to do the actual work
because they will do it a whole lot better than I will do it -- because
frankly I don't have the patience of actually doing the work or I really
don't care enough (the homeowner's house may be precious to them but to
me it is just one more house) but I know that this carpenter guy will
care. Then again, we are not exactly cheap, we charge for our service,
we charge for therapy sessions. Saying WE confuses residential clients
often enough that they won't engage to hire. So some guys get used to
saying "I" will do this and that. A problem here is that in general the
client thinks that all they want is their window fixed and not that they
themselves will need to invest the time to figure out what it is that is
going on in the transaction before they agree to have the work done.
Work is done by people. Build the relationship then worry about the window.

Then, there are predatory contractors who are really well practiced at
what they do. They exist and prosper for a whole slew of reasons.

Once I had a really good friend that I hired to do window work for a
small residential project, he needed work, he needed the work more than
I needed the small project, but when asked to do a project I have always
had a problem to say NO, and I was in a totally stressed out situation
as it was and a bit cocky about the whole thing, which had a lot to do
with my coping in hell. I was screwed up. I was a part of a larger
company and everyone knew that I was not the guy that was going to do
the work. Everyone knew each other just fine. I assigned a young fellow,
an engineering student, to manage the 'little' project that should have
been a smooth no-brainer. As it was my friend had a total breakdown,
moved out of area, kept showing up at odd times to do the project, and
another project beside, and did a major job on bashing my reputation
with the local landmarks conservancy because he not only did not caulk
around the windows, there were large gaps of 1-2" around the windows and
it was winter and the wife was home with the baby while the musician
husband was out on tour. Snow blowing into their house and I did not
know enough about window work to go over there and fix it myself, even
though my partners would do everything they could to keep me away from
putting on a tool belt. Suddenly I was loaded on one hand with
multi-million dollar projects and having to stop and go straighten out
the FUBAR screw up my friend had put us in to. It put the two of us in a
bad way. It put me in a bad way with my business partners. My friend and
I did not talk for like 10 years. Things have fixed up since and I think
we both realize that our friendship is more valuable to each of us than
the shit that happens.

After 40 some years of doing residential work, of doing any work, what I
know is that what we think is going on is probably not what is going on
at all. It is fine to think all sorts of things but sometimes the best
thing to do is forget about the little stuff and move on.

][<en