BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Popkin Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:12:32 -0400
Ralph's response makes a lot of sense (NYers ought to be familiar with the
older subway station walls), and was quite instructive in the need for
special handling of the glass tiles -- but -- I'm still curious -- were you
looking at glass tiles or glassy ceramic tiles?

Some clay tiles of the late 19th C were fabricated in a method that is
rarely used today -- dry dust-pressed tile -- that allowed those sharp
edges; and glazes with (now-banned) highly toxic ingredients were commonly
used, capable of producing surface effects otherwise hard to achieve.  (I
once needed reproductions and got directed to a company in England still
doing things "the old-fashioned way.")

So, was it subway glass?

Bruce Popkin