BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:42:43 -0500
Hey, I worked on the exterior restoration of the Michigan State
Capitol!  I must have missed the original posting, and photo, as only
now do I get the gist of the discussion.

Restoration work was completed in about 1993 or '94.  This included
painting the exterior metal dome a more compatible color similar to the
sandstone, as well replacement of the missing urns and other detail.  It
also included replication of the cupola lanterns at each end of the
building;  these are to have lighting that is on when either the house
or senate are in session respectively.  We cleaned and repointed the
exterior masonry - we learned that the stones are so large that only
every third joint is real, and the intermediate joints are only scored
to simulate joints but are still "pointed" to look like stones.

Yes, the porches were reconstructed with much newly carved Berea
sandstone.  However, we did reuse the treads by flipping them over.
Between prior sandblasting and use of snow-melting salts, the stone had
severely eroded beyond reasonable use.

There is more, if someone wants to know...  The biggest thrill was
accompanying my sons' fourth grade classes, the first time during the
work when everything was scaffolded and messy and noisy, and the second
when the work was completed and all shiny new.  Their mom, the
authority!  I really haven't been back in several years...

Ilene