BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:33:31 -0600
Ruth,

Big dog, Allie, is Black Lab-Rotweiler-Godknowswhat mix.  Sweet
disposition, way too much energy and completely unaware of the damage
she wreaks just by wagging her tail...which is set at exactly the right
height to knock anything off the coffee table.

Little dog, Sparky, is our Pennsysltuckie Mud Hound.  I suspect that
some fool tried to breed his own Jack-Russell about 12 years ago when
they were real popular.  The genes got the mix backward, so Sparky has
the build and character of a terrier and the coloring of a beagle.  She
may have been beaten up by the jackass that bred her.  She certainly
was beaten up by someone, probably male, probably carried a gun or a
large stick.  When she and my kids discovered each other she'd been
surviving in the hay fields and valley near our house in Pennsylvania.
She was a good mouser, and a terrible theif and raider of garbage and
other dogs' food.  (I'd not be surprised to learn that she had taken
out a chicken or two...damn she loves chicken!)

Neither dog was an intended addition to the family.  My eldest child
and her husband moved into a sweet little house in Saint Paul and
thought, "wouldn't be be great to have a dog?!"  So they got one from
the animal shelter.  She was a little too much dog for a young couple,
and a small city house.  They were also at that stage where Allie was
regularly spending time with us when they went places she couldn't go.
Then one day they didn't take her with them when they went home.  She
doesn't wait by the front door for them anymore, but she's always glad
to see them.  I think she's glad to see everyone.  She's a very happy
dog.

I think if there were "do-overs" in life, I'd like to know Sparky had
she not been beaten, and I'd like Allie to have had the chance to be
raised from a puppie by someone who understand dogs and dog training.
I once told I guy that I was not the boss he needed, I feel that way
about Allie.  But, she's not complaining.

I'm in an introspective mood this evening.

Allie and Sparky send there best to your canines.  (Myles and Spyder
send their best to the kitten at the screen door, who's name I cannot
recall.)  As always, my best to you.

-jc