BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:32:00 -0500
][< F asks:

>> As of 1994, there were 3,122 National Register listings
>
>Is there anywhere available a graph showing the increase in numbers of
>properties over the years?

The statistics I gave came from an excellent reference book, National
Register of Historic Places 1966 to 1994, a 2" thick book available in
paperback from The Preservation Press of the National Trust.  Primarily it
lists all Register properties by State according to County (Yes, you have
to know the County before looking anything up, and God bless the individual
who can look for the Shull-Lugenbuhl Farm as located in Holmes County,
Ohio.  You can't find it in any index I've seen listing "Farms"), giving
location or address, date of entry, category of consideration and Register
number.  That number is a big help to SHPO if you're ever asking for data
or significance statement.  In the front of the book is an Introduction, an
explanation of criteria, SHPO contacts, and Federal officers.  In the Intro
it says that "States provide more than 9,000 Natinal Register eligibility
opinions to federal agencies on an annual basis.", but it doesn't give the
breakdown you are asking about.  It says that "Data on National Register
properties also are automated in the National Register Information System
(NRIS), maintained by the National  Park Service.  NRIS data offer profiles
of National Register resources...importamt resarch resources."

If anyone on the BP has ever used NRIS, I'd like to hear what it's all
about.  What do "profiles of National Register resources" include?  As I
said, I look forward to the day that full content of nominations is entered
and sortable including maps, photos, texts, etc., but I hope some day...
--Jim Rhodes