BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew DIAZ" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:31:59 -0400
Tom K, came back from the land of bad things with personal
experience of what American land mine ordinance could do to
your quadraceps.
While rehabbing the only book that really held his attention
[ & come to think of it the only book I ever heard him refer
to] was about the care& training of Army Mules which was
good because Tom couldn't  walk very far- missing about 60%
of the muscle in his legs.
When I met him he was travelling in a 1948 Ford hay truck
carrying a nickel plated cook stove, 2 mules 8 or 10 dogs,
tepees, tools, guns, gas, feed, a wife & a child.

The story is
" The day Tom pulled the dog out of the sky"

Tom & I had ridden out hunting one morning & scared up
nothing, which was rare, as Tom could take antelope over
iron sites that I couldn't even see.
We came to the river canyon & I got it into my mind that I
ought to chunk a rock at the cattle below.  It took me a
little while to hunt up the proper sized stone [ the
interesting thing about the rocks there was that they are
the same round pebbles you see at the beach even though we
were in South-Eastern Colorado & 1/2 mile above the river].
Just as the stone left my hand I saw peripherally one of
Tom's hounds running to chase it and Tom's hand shoot out
like Mr.Fantastic [ remember the Fantastic Four?] & grab the
dog by the hind leg. His other hand grabbed my leg as he
slid over the side.  Luckily I had Rachel's reins in my hand
and she was too stuborn to go anywhere.

In any case I've long felt that computers are like Tom's
hounds- they'll fetch, just be careful where you throw.