BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:27:29 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/2000 11:32:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Now with the passing of the "old" communism I am concerned we will loose
the
 shoddy "heroic " statues of Stalinistic themes.... >>

Michael,

A)  I fail to see that there is any loss, artistically speaking; surely some
doofus  carved enough Lenins out of granite so that we can afford to loose
the lousy   concrete versions
B)  Even if there was a loss, it was unavoidable given the poor quality of
the original    fabric.

Now then, would anybody be interested in a really neat, mostly intact,
convex-mansarded greenhouse made c. 1900 by somebody or other in Jersey City
(I saw the label cast into an iron window sill, but didn't record (or
recognize) the name?

It isn't mine to offer; I'm not sure whose it is (but it hasn't had any TLC
lately, so can't be much prized); it needs a home (neither the local
arboretum nor the historical society want or could afford it, even if they
did want it); and it's so remarkable that one of our Bldg Inspectors saw it
and reported it as in need of rescue.  And no, it won't fit in my basement
(or on my lot, for that matter), even without the masonite cows.

Ralph