BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:09:27 -0600
I shall remain cool.

The Sears Catalog is RETRO?

Modern is sooo last century!  Damn near quaint if it wasn't so damned
formal.  Its got that nice patina thing going for it now, not so
over-the-top flamboyant bad taste like that Posty-Toasty stuff and
fortunately for Modern, Dryvit wasn't available.

The view from the out-house, through the spaces between the boards,
where the battens were blown off by a recent wind storm, when I am not
fully engaged in the latest news from Mssrs Sears and Roebuck, is quite
lovely.  The pond has frozen nicely.  In the evening the lights from
livingrooms, family rooms and those funcky little 3 season rooms on
stilts are cast across the surface.  We are snowless.  All of the white
stuff landed on the shores of Superior and Michigan, or when south of
us.  The pond is almost safe for recreation.  It would be really nice
if it turned into a social thing.  I've never met my neighbors from the
far sides of the ponds, although I have frightened the turtles of their
floating turtle thing and hears some remarks that I don't think were
complimentary.  I suspect the neighbors are nice enough people, even if
their politics are a bit red for comfort.

Folks often talk/write about first generations to accomplish things, or
reach certain milestones in assimilation.  I think that many of my
neighbors are first generation suburbanites, first generation lawn
owners, managers in the work place, experts in certain skill sets.  I
like my neighbors.  I wish they relied less on advertising for their
knowledge of home and lawn care, and child rearing, but I do like them,
and I like their kids.  The little ones, anyway.  I've never had an
interest in motorized recreation, which is pretty standard among the
neighbors.  I slip into feeling superior or more sophisticated from
time to time, with my X-C skis, canoe, kayaks, backpacks and such.
But, I still like my neigbors.  Even Jim, the right-wing, father of
many sons, who screwed up my ice last year with his four wheel atv
thing, who earns his living managing main frames and thinks my Mac is a
toy.  I wish he'd increase the strength of his wireless network, so I
wouldn't have to.  Now we can probably provide internet access to the
whole cul-de-sac.

No.  I won't get over it.  I think DOCOMOMOMOMO should get with the
program and quit their whinning.  Modern is not morally or
aesthetically superior to any other architectural style and it will
benefit from culling, just others before it have.

Excuse me, I have to return to the big house.

-jc