BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:13:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/98 5:54:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Proudfoot, Bird, and Rawson are not "of Chicago."  They are
>  "of Des Moines."  See Withey's Dictionary of American Architects
>  Deceased.  There was a Charles Rawson in Chicago, did a couple of
>  nice houses in the 20s and 30s; yours is Harry Rawson.

Martin,

I took the architect's names directly off the tourist brochure from Ottumwa. I
mainly liked the sound of the names, and was not thinking particular of any
individual architects. I'm really glad to get the corrections, though, and
particularly interested in the origins of the word Chillicothe. I'm sorry
about the eastern weeds, but 1) I would explain my own back yard in the same
terms as I did my sojourn to Iowa, and 2) it is probably the most any BP'r in
the east had to think about Iowa in a long time. A lot of the weeds I saw,
such as the chicory, occur in both regions. It is questionable if this does
any service to Iowa. I was impressed with Iowa and really liked how friendly
everyone was, but myself would not be able to survive there with my being
addicted to pressure and change. It was a bit too flat for my taste. I also
find it too easy, living in an urban environment, to forget our dependence on
agriculture. The Iowa perception of NY was also unique. When I told my
relatives that we have duck and potato farms near our house, and chickens and
guinea hens in our yard, it did not fit with their idea of a land made up of
nothing but skyscrapers. The joke at the family reunion was that in the east
we do not call 911 because there is no "11" on the phone dial.

][<en Follett