BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:26:23 EDT
To all the pin heads out there who are out of the big city be thankfull for what you have.....
it seem the bigger the job it is the more micro managers there are..

scene : corperate dining room with extensive views of manhattan.
Present. Two architects, two conservators;two G,C reps
two sub reps ; two building managers and a consultant to the owner, myself and two laborers; our V.P, a janitor .
Subject :Window protection with tape

G.C..  Mike have your guys put the tape here
we begin taping

conservator: hmmm  no..lets put it on all the windows

architects: no just put it on partially( we begin to take some off)

building owner::after tape is on and then off
                 no no no  put it on .outside the window
(we begin to take it all off)
V.P ..no that won't work in all our experience that never works;

 Consultant and architects with G.C gang up on that stand..a little food fight ..but back to taping the inside.
Conservators: Lets just tape one window and observe the other.(The excess tape begins to stick to my guys hands)

Another food fight about which window would best demonstrate the test ..(more taping and more tearing down)
 I now have tape around my head and hands and I am stuck to the laborers.

Owners rep: lets just partially tape where we ___Think---
the problems are ...more tearing down more taping.

An hour has now gone by and there is little or no tape on the windows...a demo crew is waiting outside at 60 stories in the blinding sun and me and the guys are doping up on the goof off bottle;
as the micro managers debate and order more ideas....
I can't take any more.This is like moving your mother in laws couch...it always looks better over there...
I begin muttering and melt into a chair ...I can't believe how many geniuses there are in our work  and I am married to all of them...and heck this isn't even government work...So far the really big decisions have taken weeksnothing is getting done; everyone is so important we are reinventing the wheel...and the small jobs are starting to look beautifull ...  ... ...  ....Best from foggy bottom  Michael