BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:26:40 -0500
On 3/9/2010 4:21 PM, James Duggan wrote:
> Can anybody recommend existing companies with proven experience
> custom-fabricating brick under these parameters?
>
> Current planning is also focusing on the feasibility of obtaining
> suitable materials locally and making and firing replacement bricks in
> a traditional manner.  Do you have knowledge of any projects/places
> where this type of replication has been attempted and proved
> successful? Can you point us towards any of the experts within this realm?
>
> don't ask me wythe?
>
> jamie
jamie,

Colonial Williamsburg has had an ongoing hand-made brick activity --
mostly for their own needs. They did some demos at early IPTW events.
Really nice folks though I remember no names.
The Huguenot site at New Paltz, NY was making their own brick for a
while... but I do not know who there would have any memory of actually
doing it. Though they may be able to tell you who to go find.
You may also look into Old Carolina Brick, Co., they have also done
demos at IPTW events. http://www.handmadebrick.com/
You may also look around for information on people making handmade brick
in other countries where the technology is contemporary... like South
America.

If you want a very good match to existing brick then using local
materials is a best bet.
We looked at a project on the North Fork of LI that had a local brick to
match. We were leaning toward Old Carolina Brick... but the client got
wobbly on us and never signed our proposal. So we stopped bothering.
It was informative to go out a bit further on the fork and walk around
where the original pits and kilns had been. Talk to your local Old Timers.
Get some of the original brick and break it open and see what is inside.

][<en