BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:56:55 EDT
Late Payment Abuses

"Late payment without good cause is a form of legal predation through which
an owner or contractor makes use of a (sub)contractor's money not as security
for work yet to be performed but either to make money or for extra leverage
in the business relationship."

"… the long-term solution is the adoption of a new ethic that precludes abuse
of contractors by owners and between prime contractors and subs. And the only
way to do that is to withhold your services from people unworthy of being
your clients. That means that slow-paying owners and abusive prime
contractors should be publicly identified, ostracized and isolated."

ENR, September 11, 2000, p 74-77 & 100

As a member of the Preservation Trades Network and APT, I believe there needs
to be an alliance of relationships and sharing of information within the
preservation industry between the trades, architects, engineers and
conservators to sort out those CM's, GC's and property owners who are abusive
in late or withheld payments. We all of us get held up equally on payments
from the same set of abusers.

"… a prime contractor may propose a closeout payment at a fraction of the
value of the work."

Been there, done that… I'll never, ever, say anything nice about them again.

Does anyone know of a GC with a subcontractors relations coordinator?

][<en