BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:36:26 +0000
I'm not familiar with the Natchez trace but I'd love to see it.  Michael,
your writing always brightens the computer screen.  I have been wondering
about the sources and meaning of roads, a thought that comes from the
comment about a road museum.  Does anyone know about the development of use
rights and ownership of roads?  I visited the toll house on the Hale? estate
at the end of lake Oswego opposite Cooperstown and again wondered how these
things get put into place.  Were they responsible for the development of the
route or did the ownership of a strategic site between a ravine and
mountainside provide a natural toll site regardless of who built and
maintained the road.