BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:25:19 -0200
Leland Torrence wrote:

> Volunteer organization... */[Leland Torrence] /*I always think
> non-profits or volunteer outfits should behave as real businesses.

Leland,

I certainly agree w/ you though I am always conscious how D. Boone had
to deal w/ a volunteer army in the wilderness. There is a great deal of
energy, time, patience and heartache that has to go into taking
otherwise unruly volunteers who may, or may not, have a clue where
things are going, or even for them to agree where they want to go &
getting them all aligned to not run for the deep woods when they first
get shot at. I am certainly not in favor of the extreme of a military
discipline. Whereas in business there is a need for vision & leadership
there are also very compulsive forces and rather straight forward
influences such as the need for a pay check. I am not talking so much a
non-profit with a volunteer element, I am talking an essentially 100%
volunteer organization.

When it works for everyone to come together, though, it is really neat.

][<

Along those lines:

PTN Mission: “To empower traditional building trades through network,
good works, community, fellowship and education.”

Network
The essential element of the Preservation Trades Network is the NETWORK.
Why should we network? Because it empowers us in our lives, it
reinforces and builds upon our individual talents and our personal
values. It manifests through our ability and willingness to connect and
share openly with others that takes us beyond our individual selves.
Though membership is an important element of a healthy community, a
network goes the next step and the next steps onward beyond the
immediate community. To network is to continually reach out to other
people and to new territory beyond ourselves.

Good Works
We intend through the practice of our combined trades to leave something
of value behind us in the built environment, but more importantly we
intend to honor values of traditional trade practice in our lives, in
our teaching of others, and through our good works. Though we intend to
do good work in our individual professions, the effect of good works is
that as a community we provide something of value to enhance and
celebrate the human condition within the cultural heritage of the built
environment.

Community
We do not build and rebuild alone. We build with friends regardless if
they be from any walk of life, any country, trade or profession. We
share and bond in our experience of working together and with our coming
together to build and rebuild we build community. We share of ourselves
within community and live fully through our sense of service to our
community.

Fellowship
We strive to know each other within our particular trade interest, but
more importantly to know and to recognize each other across the
interests of many variations of traditional trade practice, personal
interests and diversity of professions.

Education
We want to teach others and we ourselves want to learn from each other
and from others.

Preservation Trades Network, Inc.
PO Box 249
Amherst, New Hampshire 03031-0249
Phone: (866) 853-9335 (toll free)
FAX: (866) 853-9336

E-mail us: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>