BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:02:23 EST
Thanks for all the post-backs, especially Dean Koga's scholarly reply.   Part
of his post touches on question I really meant to ask (to the contractors and
finishes on this list who are actually in the trenches):  Did Gus' contractors
REALLY, REALLY give him Rosewood - or do contractors routinely pass off
something cheaper as the real thing?

In a message dated 2/10/99 2:28:39 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Because rosewood is difficult to work, and tends to check and split as it
>  dries, it is not often used in architectural woodwork.  It does make
>  marvelous furniture, however, and splendid veneers.  And it is very
>  expensive.  I designed some stairs and railings with rosewood inlay, and
>  was told that the rosewood cost more than $20 a board foot.  A 4'x8' sheet
>  of 3/4" [Rosewood] plywood is around $300, compared to around $60 for oak.

Christopher Gray