BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 13:15:57 -0500
>> What is the relationship of preservation to restoration?>
>I offer a first pass at, ten words or less, definitions of what I
>perceive to be the five levels of preservation.
>
>        - Stablization: to stablize and maintain
>        - Conservation: to stablize and repair
>        - Restoration:  to return to a previous condition
>        - Renovation:   to fix up and change for new use (Remodeling)
>        - Reconstruction: to build new to some level of artifical old

I am constantly suggesting and encouraging "preservation" groups to use
vocabulary for which they agree on a definition.  It seems to me that for
good or bad it is best to use the most widely circulated and available
definitions: The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of
Historic Properties.  The four catagories as outlined, Preservation
(protection and stabilization), Rehabilitation, Restoration and
Reconstruction should serve as the broader context for our debates.

Leland