BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:22:53 EDT
"It was in 1846, just at this period of rampant Tammany corruption, which was
beginning to become somewhat too obvious, that Washington Irving returned to
New York from Spain, where he had been Minister of the United States. He was
received enthusiastically by the populace of New York, and Tammany joined
vigorously in the welcome, for Tammany Hall needed a reputable man. The
leaders of Tammany Hall offered Washington Irving the nomination for Mayor of
New York. "It was not as a literary man especially that they desired to honor
Irving," wrote Mrs. Euphemia Vale Blake, "for they had always plenty of
literary timber at hand, but partly for old association's sake, and from
their natural instinct to honor any man who had brought honor to America."
Irving declined, and Tammany Hall nominated instead Andrew H. Mickle, who was
born in a hut in the "Bloody Sixth" Ward; it was said by his opponents that
no less than a dozen pigs were present at the birth and lived with the family
for many years. Mickle had married the daughter of a wealthy tobacco
merchant. He was elected Mayor of New York, and when he died, he left an
estate valued at more than a million dollars." Tammany Hall, M. R. Werner,
Doubleday, 1928.

My wife protests heaps of books in our small house (two dogs, one iguana, and
two hedge hogs)… but with occasional diversion of shifting them around in
order to accommodate a new proposal on our mode of living, interesting facts
ascend to the superficial. The fact here being that Andrew Mickle is, in our
renewed and ever expansive kin mythology, presumed to be a forebear to the
family that I married onto. Not lingering overly long on swine, the question
now is, "Where is the money?"

I doubt much the hut in the "Bloody Sixth" Ward stands still, and hesitate to
go looking for it lest it be infested with crack heads or other pesky
entrepreneurs, but as to heritage and salting away huts for posterity, I rue
those who would have indiscriminately torn down a structure of such
significance to the future of our venerated family, that is, unless it had
been remuddled beyond recollection and in possession of a university.

][<en