BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 12:10:38 -0500
Ilene,

I very much appreciate your pro-active approach to harnesses. We are
often required to bring the harnesses when an architect/engineer shows
up on a project. Our tendency is to go buy new ones. When they show up
with their own pre-fitted harness and they know how to put the gear on
we always feel more confident that they will be safe. The implicit and
usually unstated situation is here is someone that has come into the
field environment that is 'smart' but they can't figure out how to get
their harness on. How smart can that be? Then we have to show them we
can't figure it out either. Or it can get kind of sensitive standing
there telling the architect how to tighten up the crotch without
actually reaching down to help. Showing up with a harness and knowing
how to use it also increases confidence and appreciation on teh part of
the mechanics of the architect'engineer's craft and knowledge and helps
in so far as the on-site good attitude to openly share information about
the project.

One reason contractor's show up with new harnesses is that for the ones
that they own if they are onto their game their harnesses are already
personally allocated, and fitted. Upkeep of harnesses is a personal
management issue internal to an organization. Some workers take care of
them, some do not. Some projects are clean, some are very dirty and use
up harnesses faster for that. Harnesses need to be kept stored dry, not
always an easy option if they are kept behind the seat in a PU truck.
Then there are issues for any contractor for figuring out where their
equipment is at. Don't want to show up with cousin Fred's old beat up
frayed harness, even if it is just fine for Fred, and hand it to the
architect. Might better go get a new one and make a better impression.
Besides, Fred is pretty big and it will be difficult how to explain
fitting it to the architect. And then there is the situation that one
never really knows if a used harness is safe. If a harness has been used
in a fall then at the least the lanyard should be discarded and there
would be questions as to condition of the harness itself.

One friend who looked into it and procured her own harness explained to
me that a harness constructed/fitted for a man is not fitted for a woman.

I do not know of any references that would be comprehensive or tailored
to the specific need that you have. You can look at the OSHA regs though
that can create more confusion than help when it comes to field
application and company policy.

> The goal is to give our staff more confidence when going on job sites, but also to show respect for the construction crews and their concern for job safety.

A good goal.

][<