BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:48:47 +0000
sbmarcus wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
> >I was very much into the chivalry of
> > Knights at the time,
>
> And looking up Rebecca's dress?

1) great poem, very nice, a keeper.

2) there was no conflict in my psyche between the action and the belief,
in fact, there was no awareness of any connection at all, at the time. (
Note: for those of you getting nervous, I no longer hang out in
playgrounds.)

3) I can imagine a Provencal romantic, possibly too far into the wine,
doing the same, though it may not be quite historically  correct.

4) reminds me of something at work…

One of our past customers is a very wealthy advertising executive. He
was paying $20,000 per month to keep an apartment in Manhattan as one of
his many residences. This was the place where I accidentally kicked the
Andy Warhol Brillo box while looking at the ceiling. There were other
things to look up at. I only relate what was told to me, I did not have
the opportunity to hold the ladder. Getting off the subject, he had some
very fine Joseph Cornell boxes sitting on the coffee table. These I did
not kick, revealing something of my personal taste in art.

Anyway, the ad exec had a trophy wife a blonde bombshell that spoke with
a slight accent (Nordic?). Trophy wife: as you go through three or four
wives, neglecting the emotional needs of each of them, they each become
more susceptible to accusations of pandering to the beauty myth; their
function being to bolster the male’s ego in public. They are usually
very well compensated, not always very intelligent, and often
congenitally bored. As far as we could tell during the daylight hours
she had nothing better to do than flit around the multi-story apartment
complaining about water leaks.

She also showed a striking interest in climbing up ladders to look at
the roof. She insisted on going up first, and coming down last. Now, it
is fairly natural when you are holding the base of a ladder steady to
look straight up and make sure the climber is making their way safely.
Eye candy?

This is one of the few perils of working on an old building.

][<en Follett