BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Not for the hysterically disinclined.
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:09:59 +1100
Peter

The mail travels slowly between Sydney and New York.
Or at least, that's my excuse for the belated
response.

There's little I can add to the words of wisdom
offered by my elders to date about, as ][<en puts it,
"the vision quest", or the great adventure.  I
certainly cannot comment from any sort of firsthand
experience with regards to the Mississippi.  Whilst
Australia's equivalent, the Murray, is long, and I
have canoed upon it, it does not have the traffic.

There is, however, a great book about travelling down
the Mississippi ... and if I could only think of the
title, I'd tell you.  Believe I have it in the library
at home, so will try and email details tomorrow.

One thing I would say is that whilst doing it with a
friend has lots of definite advantages, sometimes
going alone has much to say for it as well.

I've done my share of solo trips - solo walks in arid
mountain ranges where I had to carry 2-3 days water;
solo cycling around Shikoku, Japan; and I learnt to
push through those barriers of fear that Mary (I think
it was Mary) talked about.

If you want to raft the Mississippi - don't settle for
anything less in the first instance.  Investigate the
issues, learn how you can do what you want to do.  And
be prepared to push other people to accept what you
are trying to do.  You never know, they might just
bend the rules to let you through.  Nevertheless,
sometimes it just isn't practical.  Don't be afraid to
admit that you were wrong, and go for the alternative.

My first effort to push my boundaries was scheduled to
last 3 months, and see me working my way north from
Brisbane along the Queensland coast. Eight days later
I was on a bus home, having discovered that the
hand-to-mouth existence I embarked upon didn't really
suit me at that time. And I'm even prepared to write
about it here and let the Pinheads write stupid things
in response.  Will I never learn?

Another friend planned to "Ride Across America" on her
pushbike.  The plans were in preparation for a couple
of years.  When it finally happened, I think she rode
for a week or two on the northwest coast, and again
for a couple of weeks in Canada near Banff or
thereabouts ... and then she did other things.  But
the dream is important, and the attempt.

So, I really haven't managed to add much advice other
than to expound upon my own experiences.  Seriously,
Peter, best wishes in your adventure.  And remember,
rafting the Mississippi for three days might turn out
to be an experience you'll never forget.

Good luck

david

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!