BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:53:27 EST
      Mary Krugman wrote:

>now what to do about it either.        reasure those few places that do still
have some sense of
>      their own individualized pasts--
>
>      Oh well--I guess nothing is perfect.
Mary;
Thanks for bringing this up; everyyear I go fishing in the Fla. Keys on a
remote key...that is difficult to get to as you must bring everything in with
you ..no cars no 'lectricity" no phone or fax....huricane lamps and sun
showers for two weeks (no clothes if you choose)...slowly slowly this hardship
is going the way of high tech and well heeled dharma bums ..my neighbors
fishing shack used to rent for 300 a week is now 800...for the same "authentic
amenities...or lack there of".next year???.my guess is that we as a
culture(west) are so starved for something more authentic; something real; or
more real than the paper world we have to deal with; .....that real authentic
experience (or our idea of it) becomes a commodity in which to buy sell or
trade....and...based on the commercial success of the History channel; it
isn't going to get any better.....yea Im still going fishing ...as  Im in love
with the Gulf Stream....as Hemingway penned its "the last great
wilderness.....another  example if ive not put you to sleep ...a certain in-
law of mine who Im ##**not fond of **##owns the Salem Witch Museum in Salem
Mass ...two blocks away is the famous Peabody Museum...The Salem Witch Museum
is a clever Disney"educational"visual Mdme Tussard experience(for $12 @ 20
mins) housed in a old brownstone church broken pediments et all ...which I
helped stabilize to look like Draculas castle ; anyway I believe the Witch
Museum is one of the top ten if not top five most visited Museums in the
country; with busses waiting to get in day in day out...; while the august
Peabody with its wealth of seafaring real deal authentic collections isn't
even on the radar screen ...nuf said....lets see where do we dine ce
soir...avec McDivvies or chez subway....Michael.."teach your children
well"(Crosby still Nash) "we have met the enemy and he is Us (pogo)