BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:05:10 -0800
Re rod in brick courses:
In the early 1960s in my first job as an architectural draftsman, I remember
having to draw details like that here in Canader where everything was then
assumed to be at least five years out of date.   That was in my post-Soleri
years, and the hands-on approach to construction I gained while working with
him really made me wonder what the point was for those little threads of
steel in the brick mud.   Questioning stuff like that proved to be life
changing.

On day, after the bosses had spent all morning arguing and looking at
masonry catalogues and speculating about what they could actually specify to
have purchased in our small BC town, seeking how to detail rounded pilasters
for a simple concrete block apple packing house (storage building), at
coffee break the post-Soleri kid at the back desk said, "Why not ask a mason
here in town.  He would surely know what is available and how to make those
pilasters?"

The head arthrititect stood up like a ram rod and said sternly, "We don't
ASK the trades, we TELL them!"

That was the day I decided I would never draw something I didn't understand.
A month later I went back to Arizona, became a member of the Arizona
Designer-Craftsman Guild, specialized in architectural craft through carving
and casting in diverse materials, created the sand cast candle phenomenon ,
led a curious life of experiences and even eventually got back to the design
boards and supervising high rise construction, but at least by then I knew
every detail I was responsible for, and have lived happily ever since.

cp in bc