BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:18:29 -0500
"Paint, paint, paint" is the only motto other than location, location,
location that has any bearing on the value of real estate. Paint all mating
surfaces before assembly. I once worked for a guy who would have us soak
pine boards in covered tanks of preservative for weeks on end. The boards
were fully dressed with hand planes before their bath. Then, when we cut the
boards in the field the cut ends would be immersed in preservative for as
long as possible -- ten to fifteen minutes -- and painted (often with lead
paste) before being nailed home. We would generally remember to test fit
boards before preserving and painting, but would forget on occasion -- oy,
what a mess. While this process takes a bit of planning -- and ultimately is
slower than slapping the wood up unpainted -- I have not seen one of these
jobs fail.

Painting with wood that will receive a clear finish is a bit more difficult.
I try to tint primer or use a finish paint with a color close to the color
of the wood. This is exterior work after all -- a few specks of errant color
here and there will hardly be noticed when leaves, dirt, stones, etc. get
ground into the decking.

As for plastic -- tar paper, flashing -- between the decking and the joists.
I don't see the harm, but I am not sure it helps much. Plastic is probaly
not very durable compared with asphalt-saturated felt or metal flashing.
Haven't ever tried the "self-healing" membranes.

That said, time to go home.

Sign me,

Blanco Polumbo