BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:55:22 -0500
Creighton:

I checked with Debbie's dad, Paul Loomis (lives in Union Valley between Cuyler and Cincinnatus, descendant of the infamous Loomis Gang), on the current prices of fur:

Big beaver  $30-35  (he got another one today)
Muskrat  $3  (considering all the work involved this hardly seems worth it)
Raccoon  $14-15
Red fox  $30-35  (I see this dead on the road of late)
Gray fox  $20
(I forgot to ask about deer hides)

Paul remembered '79 and '80 as the peak years for fur.

In recent years there has been a big anti-fur group here in Syracuse that used to picket a local furrier, I'm thinking right around Thanksgiving, and got pretty wild one year.  I think there was a high school kid who got up on top of a police car at one point but was wrestled to the ground and taken away in hand cuffs.

It was a little hard to find much white around this Christmas but I imagine in the hills around Caroline there was still a fair amount of white...

Bruce (evidently didn't get the memo that today was a holiday--I'm one of only three or four out of about fifteen on our staff here today)