BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:17:02 -0200
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>     But: How long do we realistically expect these poor flooded-out
>     people to wait for custom milled to match the originals according
>     to approved shop drawings, and fabricated from organically-grown
>     renewable Honduran mahogany?     I'd be willing to bet there were
>     plenty of shitty replacement doors on these houses before the
>     hurricane, too.
>
> I'm on Ralph's side.  Even though he isn't on mine.   Christopher

What bothers me is not only cannot the govt. get its crap together to
respond to the situation in the Gulf region but that our national supply
pipeline for windows & doors is brain dead. I have no qualms regarding
folks having a need to secure their property... I'm all for it.... and
I've been there and seen it... I wolda had the Home Depot door in there
in no time flat no questions asked... what makes me sick is that our
country cannot seem to do any better than this. It is not simply a
devastation of flesh & blood and building stock, it is an abandonment of
spirit.

They get stamped out doors that don't even fit. Why the hell don't Home
Depot (the CEO or whatever just got $250M or somesuch when they fired
him) go down there and figure out how to provide appropriate sized doors
& windows at the least. They can go back to whomever their supply
manufacturers are and tell them to do better. I understand that my local
Home Depot drops a million a year out the back door into the dumpsters
--- and that it is considered normal. Why the hell can't these folks in
NOLA get respect?

][<

In separate back-channel to AA re: her apology for making me feel ill --

Trust me... sick but kinda laughing at the same time. Pathetic is the
phrase I think most apt. I certainly understand the frustration of
wanting to get back into the house. Ironic I think in terms that this
sort of application of mass produced fenestration will in time become a
style... it will be remembered as historic artifact on those structures
where it never leaves, or leaves traces behind. In my own community the
downtown section, between the two stop lights, is mainly made up of old
bunkhouse cottages from a former Camp Upton used by the army during WW2
and eventually became what is now Brookhaven National Laboratories. When
the camp was decommissioned folks bought up the 4 person bunkhouses and
moved them down to a straight section of an otherwise unoccupied road
and voila... a new town was born. I also spend a lot of time comparing
our local Home Depot w/ our not so local Lowes and find the network of
supply of building materials, for the housing market and/or histo presto
rather interesting. So don't worry about the retch index here.