BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:21:40 -0800
Dr. Bleckner is the sort we would just as soon see stay in NJ.  The problem
with them is that they say "Do what you want in Vermont" until they live
here.  They move up here because they don't like it where they are then
they want to change VT to be just like the place they came from that they
didn't like.  They complain that the farmer next door, who is just trying
to make a living on the same land his family has lived on for a century or
more, spreads manure on his field.  And, oh dear, IT STINKS, and he's
having some fancy do for his city friends and whatever will they THINK.  If
they have a lick of sense they'll think "that farmer is a good steward of
his land."  But they probably don't have any more sense than their friend.
I don't care who wants to move up here to live--but DAMN IT don't come here
because you like it here then set about changing it!!!!!!  That makes the
natives ugly and we're the ones with the tractor and 4X4 and the chain and
blocks to get ya unstuck in mudseason.  Ruth

At 11:02 AM -0500 1/3/04, [log in to unmask] wrote:
One of my neighbors (Marty Bleckner), who's a dentist and has a son who's a
surgeon (I think) in Vermont, has a bumper sticker that says "Do what you
want in Vermont."  Well, it turns out that my next door neighbor (Chuck),
whose property abuts the dentist's house, is in the process of selling his
house, and the City was proposing to rezone Chuck's house and  a few others
as "office residential character" which is intended to preserve the houses
and allow them to be used as offices.  The City held hearings about this,
and Mr. Do What You Want in Vermont turned out to be very much opposed to
letting his neighbor of 30 years (Chuck) get more money selling his (c.
1870) house and large lot for POTENTIAL office use, because there might be
acres of floodlit parking lots adjacent to Bleckner's house. Evidently,
Bleckner's in favor of doing what you want in Vermont, but not next door to
him in New Jersey.

All right, I'll shut up now.

Ralph

--