BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:02:12 -0500
Mary Krugman wrote:

> OK, BPers - here's some blood & guts for you... from an Australian yet. Ian?
> Any response?
>
> -- Mary Krugman
> ____________________________
>
> Subj:    RE: Timber framing tradition
> Date:   9/21/1999 11:16:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:   [log in to unmask]
>

> There are also stories of people being killed
> at the time of the commissioning of Viking
> longboats.

My recollection of the story is that in various cultures- & I'm sure to screw
the nautical lingo up-
The job of knocking out the last keel stay keeping a vessel from slipping into
the water was offered to a slave/condemned man with the understanding that
should he miraculously survive he would be granted his freedom.

DD