BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:47:30 -0800
Pam Blythe wrote:

> I used to go there as a kid and look at the markers.

I used to go there as a kid and hide.

Last summer on the odyssey to Iowa while stopping on a gravel road near Dead
Man's Grove my mother's cousin Homer pointed out to the east at a tall pine
tree and said he thought my great (or was it great great) grandparents were
buried over there and he could not remember if there were stones or not. Homer
tells a lot of family stories and it was difficult for me to sort them out. We
did not go further afield as the majority of the group would not have been able
to traverse the landscape and all got back into the cars. We went to another
cemetary, visiting family graves, and he told us about the hollow gravestone
where corn whiskey was stashed. We also took the time, as a group, to wonder
over all the one-year old graves in the relatively newly established territory
of Iowa. There was no poetry inscribed on the stones, rather terse & cryptic
statements of fact.

Deceased in unmarked locations... marked locations without text, marked
locations with text, monuments, mausoleum's and mansions. At which point do we
recognize the historic? A few years ago I contacted the NY SHPO office for a
listing of historic sites in Riverhead, NY. I was really amazed at how many
vacant lots, seemingly overgrown with weeds and sumach, are historic, and in
some cases pre-historic.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/~orgrease